The NHS Test and Trace Service is now up and running
The official phone number is 0300 013 5000 and there is more information on their website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works. You may be contacted by phone, text or email.
Please bear in mind that the genuine testers will NOT -
- call you from any premium rate number, such as one starting with 07 or 087
- ask you for any financial information such as a debit or credit card number
- ask you to set up a password or pin number
If you do receive a genuine call and are uncomfortable, you can always ask to complete the information on the official web based service instead - https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/
You can report suspicious texts by forwarding the original message to 7726, which spells SPAM on your keypad.
Questions have been asked about the security of the NHS tracking app. Please be assured that:
- You remain anonymous and your personal data will not be collected
- The data of people you interact with will not be collected on the app
- Any data in the app is encrypted
- Systems which the anonymous data is uploaded onto is secure and will not be enough to identify individuals
- It is not linked to other data which the NHS holds